As women, we are not naturals at delegating – while often men are.
Maybe it is due to our genes, hormones or just our ability to multi-task, but for most of us it is easy to go into overdrive. We tend to slip into the responsibility mode all too easy.
And still we tend to think that “delegating” equals asking for help because we are not able to do something, when for most men it means a sign of leadership.
Most of us, still feel this need to show that we are able to do everything ourselves to avoid being perceived as weak.
Our lives might be so much easier and less stressed if we could let take someone else take some of the burden.
Sharing tasks allows you to focus on the things that you need and want to do, rather than extra work that just needs to get done.
Delegating to others is not only helpful, it’s crucial to your success. As you advance in your career and begin taking on larger and larger projects, you won’t be able to juggle all of your responsibilities and keep up with a high standard of work, too.
When done properly, delegation allows you to make the best use of your time and skills, and it helps other people in the team grow and develop to reach their full potential in the organization.
Here are a few tips for lightening the load:
- Let go of the need to be in control – once you can do this you will be amazed how good you feel and how liberated;
- Admit that you are not indispensable – none of us is. Get over it!
- Accept that someone else can do the job – think of it as an opportunity rather than a threat;
- Letting other people help can make them feel good, which can make you feel good;
Let me summarize with some Key Takeaways:
- Delegating is part of a manager’s job. You can’t do it all;
- Surrounding yourself with good people makes delegating work easier;
- Understanding the skills and motivation levels of your team helps you decide how to manage the delegation of tasks;
- You should always follow up so that no work is overlooked.
Your story, our platform: If you’ve got a story and would like to share it with other Femflectors, please let us know. Femflection is all about transferring learnings to help others, be they big or subtle. We want to connect with your feelings, your learnings, your reflections or your hopes for the future – in blog or interview format. Express yourself here. Get in touch with us via firstname.lastname@example.org
For more content visit our website http://www.femflection.com